When things go wrong, you need to know what to do to get things put right.
- Tenants - tell your landlord promptly if something needs fixing, especially if it could be harmful to health or cause further damage.
- Landlords - have arrangements in place ready so you can react to emergencies. Respond to tenant requests promptly and arrange for repairs in a timely way.
- Homeowners - your home needs to be safe for you and any visitors, and must not cause a nuisance to neighbours.
Before starting work
- Check if you need permission
- Inform any affected parties
- Neighbours - you may need a Party Wall Agreement
- Tenants - if works will be significant you may need to relocate or compensate your tenants
- Get quotes and use competent tradespersons
- Oxfordshire Trading Standards has a list of checked and approved local traders
During building work
- Be considerate
- Give tenants at least 24 hours' notice
- Minimise dust and noise nuisance
- Work safely
- Dispose of waste correctly