Keeping warm at home

Energy efficiency grants

Home Upgrade Grant 2

For more information and to register click the link below

Register your interest

Oxfordshire County Council has been awarded funding under the Home Upgrade Grant Phase 2 (HUG2) scheme and is working with delivery partners, Welcome the Warmth, to deliver the funding to Oxfordshire residents


HUG2 is a government-backed scheme running from April 2023 to March 2025, providing energy efficiency measures and low-carbon heating for low-income households. It is open to owner-occupiers and private renters living in the worst-performing, off-gas grid homes and can fund home insulation, heating systems and solar panels.

Watch the 'Welcome the Warmth' case study video



Our grants and loans

We have various grants and loans which can help with home energy efficiency improvements:

  • Landlords can use our CHEEP grant to help improve their rented properties, provided they already meet the legal minimum energy efficiency standard.
  • Homeowners in receipt of certain benefits can apply for our Essential Repairs Grant which could be used to help quickly replace an old broken boiler or other main heating appliance.
  • Our Small Repairs Service can help homeowners and tenants aged 60 years or over with small jobs such as lagging an immersion tank or draught-proofing.
  • Owners of homes needing major works can apply for a Flexible Home Improvement Loan.

We recommend that you sign up for our partner Better Housing Better Health Service's newsletter. BHBH will send you the latest information about other grants that may be available to help improve your home and save energy. Contact them on 0800 107 0044 or email

Energy Company Obligation (ECO) and the Great British Insulation Scheme (GBIS) grants 

The Energy Company Obligation (ECO) is a government energy efficiency scheme to help reduce carbon emissions and tackle fuel poverty. The ECO scheme means that large gas and electricity suppliers are obliged to help households with energy-efficiency measures. It is not easy to work out if you're eligible for ECO funding because it depends on the improvements your home needs, where you live, the level of carbon or cost savings made, and if you receive any benefits We are committed to supporting those in fuel poverty and have made a Statement of Intent to help installers access what is called Flexible Eligibility funding.

The Great British Insulation Scheme is a new government energy efficiency scheme (formerly known as ECO+). It is designed to deliver improvements to the least energy-efficient homes in Great Britain to tackle fuel poverty and help reduce energy bills. The scheme complements the Energy Company Obligation scheme, yet unlike ECO4’s ‘whole house’ approach, this scheme will mostly deliver single insulation measures. As well as supporting low-income and vulnerable households, it will also be available to those living in homes with an Energy Performance Certificate rating of D-G, and within Council Tax bands A-D in England and A-E in Scotland and Wales.

The following services can help you find out if you might be eligible for ECO or GBIS funding:

Home Energy Conservation Act (HECA)

We have to produce an annual report for the Secretary of State outlining the steps we are taking to improve the efficiency of housing in our district.

Download our latest HECA report.