Keeping warm at home

Living in a cold and inefficient home can be bad for your health and your wallet. Being energy efficient simply means making the best use of the energy you are paying for.

Information, help and advice

If your household is struggling to pay fuel bills, call Oxfordshire Better Housing Better Health on 0800 107 0044 for free help and impartial advice on:

  • Saving energy and switching energy suppliers
  • Things you can do to keep your home warm, dry and also reduce the cost of heating, lighting and running household appliances
  • Grants and discounts that may be available to help with the cost of energy efficiency improvements, including insulation.

The Energy Saving Trust website has lots of useful energy efficiency tips.

Information booklets

Grants and assistance

We may be able to provide a contribution towards energy efficiency improvements by means of our various grants and loans available to owners, tenants, and landlords. Landlords cannot unreasonably refuse tenants' requests for energy efficiency works, or let the most inefficient properties.

ECO grants

The Energy Company Obligation (ECO) is a government energy efficiency scheme to help reduce carbon emissions and tackle fuel poverty. The ECO scheme means that large gas and electricity suppliers are obliged to help households with energy-efficiency measures. It is not easy to work out if you're eligible for ECO funding because it depends on the improvements your home needs, where you live, the level of carbon or cost savings made, and if you receive any benefits We are committed to supporting those in fuel poverty and have made a Statement of Intent to help installers access what is called Flexible Eligibility funding.

The following services can help you find out if you might be eligible for ECO funding:

Home Energy Conservation Act (HECA)

We have to produce an annual report for the Secretary of State outlining the steps we are taking to improve the efficiency of housing in our district. Download our latest HECA report.