Cherwell Energy Efficiency Project (CHEEP) Grant
The Cherwell Energy Efficiency Project (CHEEP) Grant has been updated for 2022.
The grant is still available to all private sector landlords for the improvement of existing privately rented properties (subject to budget availability and grant conditions), and does not have to be repaid (provided all grant conditions are met). However, to help encourage the move towards renewables, we no longer offer contributions towards new or replacement gas or oil boilers. Instead we offer bigger contributions for electric and renewable heating systems and have increased the maximum total grant to £5000.
How to apply
- Read the full list of eligible works and conditions in the CHEEP Grant Explanation
- Obtain quotes for each type of work (see table below)
- Complete the CHEEP Application Form
Eligible works and grant contributions
|Type of energy efficiency improvement work||Maximum grant contribution||Number of quotes needed to support application|
|Loft insulation||50% up to £500||One quote|
|Cavity wall insulation||50% up to £500||One quote|
|Attic rooms and flat roof insulation||50% up to £3000||Two quotes|
|Solid wall insulation (internal)||50% up to £3000||Two quotes|
|Solid wall insulation (external)||50% up to £5000||Two quotes|
|High Heat Retention electric storage heaters||50% up to £2500||Two quotes|
|Renewable heating systems||50% up to £5000||Two quotes|
|Replacement of single-glazed windows with double-glazed||25% up to £1000||Two quotes|
|Replacement of defective double-glazed windows||25% up to £500||Two quotes|
Key grant conditions
This is a summary of the main grant conditions. It is important that you read the full CHEEP Grant explanation before applying.
- Loft and/or cavity wall insulation must be upgraded as part of the grant application, unless already at current Building Regulations standard (or not applicable).
- An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) must be available before applying and a new EPC must be obtained upon completion of the work.
- We will arrange to visit the property before approving the grant application and to confirm completion. Do not start work until we have written to confirm the grant has been approved.
- Works must be completed within 6 months of approval.
- The property must be let and remain in private rental use for 3 years after completion, otherwise the grant must be repaid in full.