Apply for an HMO licence
HMOs that need a licence
In Cherwell, an HMO must have a licence if:
- It is occupied by five or more people; and
- Those people form two or more households; and
- The HMO is not a purpose-built, self-contained flat situated in a block comprising three or more self-contained flats.
The person managing or having control of an HMO meeting the above description must apply for an HMO licence.
To complete an HMO licence application you will need to:
- Provide all required information in the application form
- Pay the HMO licence fee - now paid in two stages: stage 1 fee with the application, stage 2 fee when we agree to issue the licence
- Upload a floorplan
- Upload the latest gas safety report
- Upload the current electrical installation condition report
- You may need to provide a separate signed declaration (if the proposed licence holder is different to the applicant)