Countryside walks in Cherwell
Cherwell Circular Walks and Village Trails
There are shorter historic village trails which are mostly on local streets and describe interesting buildings and features. The circular walks (and some village trails) take you into the countryside, across farmland, so walkers need to be prepared. Leaflets include detailed directions as well as some tips on preparation and things to remember. Please read through these before setting out on your walk.
The routes are usually checked annually. Please be vigilant when you walk and report any hazards or obstructions or missing signs.
Several of the walks take you through fields with livestock. Please follow the advice from Oxfordshire County Council about meeting livestock in the countryside.
Particularly during the spring and summer months, paths and waymarks can be obscured by overgrown vegetation. This seasonal growth can make it more difficult to follow the routes. Following the directions in the leaflets will help you find your way.
Historic Village Trails
- Horley (0.5 miles/0.8 km) – linear route on village streets
- Cropredy (1 mile/1.6 km) – on village streets
- Shutford (1 mile/1.6 km) – on village streets but steep in places
- Fringford (1.25 miles/2 km) – on village streets except for a short stretch
- Shenington and Alkerton (1.5 miles/2.4 km) – village streets and countryside including steep downhill and uphill sections
- Adderbury (1.8 miles/3 km) - on village streets except for a short stretch
- Sibfords Historic Village Trail (2 miles/3.4 km) – village streets and countryside including steep downhill and uphill sections
The following walks are longer and the Banbury Fringe involves stretches of the canal towpath. Please be aware that this is very eroded in places.
The Adderbury, Horley and Deddington leaflets still require some updating. The route maps are accurate but some information (ie places to eat and drink) is out of date. Where this is the case, notes are included to give the most recent information.
- Adderbury (3.6 miles/6 km)
- Horley (4.25 miles/6.8 km)
- Shutford (4.5 miles/7 km)
- Deddington (Hempton Loop 5.5 miles/8.5 km, Clifton Loop 6.5 miles/10 km)
- Banbury Fringe (10 miles in total but can be walked in shorter sections)
Ramblers wellbeing walks
Start walking and stay active!
Ramblers Wellbeing Walks make it easier to start walking and stay active. There is always a walk leader and you’ll certainly never be short of good company.