Our duties if you are faced with homelessness
We have a legal duty to assist you if you are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless, which includes working with you to prevent homelessness from occurring, where this is possible.
The duty we have will depend on your circumstances. You can find more details about this on the Shelter website.
In some circumstances we will have a duty to provide you with temporary accommodation.
You may have other issues that are impacting your housing situation for which you need advice and assistance:
- If you are worried about your housing situation because of domestic abuse , please contact our Housing Options Team or Oxfordshire Domestic Abuse Service (ODAS) for confidential advice and help.
- If you are worried about becoming homeless and you have problems with your mental health or learning disability, please share as much information as you can with your Housing Options Officer when you contact us, as this will help us to help you. There are local services operating within our district that may be able to help you with your mental health, including Oxfordshire Mind.
- If you are worried about becoming homeless upon leaving the Armed Forces please contact our Housing Options Team as soon as possible so we can begin the process of advising you.
- If you are leaving hospital and are concerned about the suitability of your home when you return, or do not have a home to return to, please contact our Housing Options Team as soon as possible. If you need adaptations to be able to return home, or to make your home safer or more suitable, we may also be able to help.
- If you, or someone you know are due to leave prison or a youth detention centre and are concerned about becoming homeless, please contact our Housing Options Team as soon as possible so we can begin the process of advising you.
- If you are a care leaver, please make sure your Housing Options Officer is aware of this, so we can do our best to help you.
- If you are worried about becoming homeless due to a relationship breakdown, please contact the Housing Options Team as soon as possible.