Cherwell Home Improvement Agency and Grants Team working practice during the Coronavirus period
We are unable to provide our usual service at the moment but we shall do our best to keep you up to date with what are able to do and with new dates for work once those can be reorganised.
Our revised service is:
- We will complete adaptations currently on site, where essential, with client’s agreement and where safe to do so.
- We are suspending commencement of all further internal adaptations until government guidance changes.
- We will continue to process new referrals as normal. Application forms will be sent to clients, but CDC officers and external contractors will not be entering occupied properties until guidance changes.
- Small Repairs service limited to fitting key-safes and appropriate external access work.
Disabled people sometimes have difficulties accessing and using the facilities in their homes. Adaptations allow adults and children with disabilities to live at home in safety and comfort.
Disabled Facilities Grant
If you are permanently and substantially disabled, we may be able to arrange a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) to help with the cost of adaptations to your home. Adaptations could be minor, such as grabrails or ramps, or major works such as stairlifts and wet rooms. We may also be able to help with organising the work.
If you have a child or young person with a disability, they are entitled to be assessed for a Disabled Facilities Grant which will not be means-tested.
Before you can apply for a grant, an occupational therapist from Oxfordshire County Council must visit you at home to make an assessment of your needs. They will explain if they think a DFG is the right way to meet your needs and recommend the adaptations they think suitable.
We must then decide if the proposed adaptations are ‘necessary and appropriate’ and are ‘reasonable and practicable’. We may also have to carry out a test of your financial resources to see what, if any, contribution you may have to make towards the cost. Our Disabled Facilities Grant Policy explains how we make those decisions. If you rent your property from a housing association they may directly fund work to adapt your home. If not you can still apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant.
- Download the Oxfordshire guide to home adaptations for more information on the DFG process.
Further information and apply
If you wish to refer a child for assessment, contact Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust.