Older person housing

Some housing is designed for people over 55 years old. These schemes incorporate elements of personal care and are specially designed to cater to the needs of people as they get older.

Extra care

Extra care housing is ideal if you have some support needs but want to remain independent. Extra care schemes are not residential care homes. You will live independently in self-contained accommodation within a larger complex where flexible care and support is available on site 24 hours a day.

Most extra care housing is available for rent at an affordable level. Some schemes also have shared ownership options available (part buy, part rent) and apartments for outright sale.

Although extra care housing is designed with older people in mind, most schemes can be flexible and will consider people with a learning disability or other disability who may not have reached 55 years but who have care and support needs.

In order to apply your care needs must firstly be assessed by Oxfordshire Council's Adult Social Care Team. You can arrange this by calling them on 01865 792422 and choosing the Adult Social Care option.

Sheltered housing

Sheltered accommodation is housing for older people with lower levels of care need. Sheltered schemes provide independent living with self-contained accommodation, usually in a larger complex with a warden or scheme manager on site. Your care needs will be assessed by the housing provider to ensure the scheme is suitable for your needs.

All sheltered schemes hold their own waiting lists and you must contact the individual schemes directly to apply. The Housing Care website often advertises vacancies but you should ensure you are on the schemes waiting lists. The housing providers below operate the following sheltered schemes within the Cherwell district:

A limited number of sheltered housing vacancies are also advertised and allocated through the council's housing register. To apply for these you must complete the Homechoice application form to join the housing register.

Care homes

Nursing care accommodation provides the highest level of care and support available in a residential setting. Care homes will generally consist of independent bedrooms within a much larger communal environment with care staff on site 24 hours a day. If you wish to refer yourself or someone else to a care home you will firstly need to request a care needs assessment from Oxfordshire County Council.