Housing Standards

Minimum safety requirements

Gas safety

Landlords must get all gas appliances checked annually by a registered engineer and obtain a gas safety certificate.

Landlords must install a carbon monoxide alarm in all rooms containing a gas appliance (unless just a cooker).

A copy of the gas safety certificate must be provided to all assured shorthold tenants at the property whose tenancies began on or after 1 October 2015.

Further gas safety information is available from the Gas Safe Register.

Electrical safety

The Electrical Safety Standards in the Private Rented Sector (England) Regulations 2020 require landlords of all privately rented homes to:

  • Ensure that the electrical safety standards are met during any period of a tenancy.
  • Have the electrical installations in their properties inspected and tested by a person who is qualified and competent, at least every five years, or more frequently if the most recent report requires this.
  • Provide a copy of the report (known as the Electrical Safety Condition Report or EICR) to their tenants, and to the local authority if requested.
  • If the EICR requires investigative or remedial works, landlords will have to carry this out.

Further information and advice:

Fire safety

Landlords must install smoke alarms on every floor of rented homes.

Fire blankets are recommended in all kitchens.

Additional fire precautions such as fire doors, emergency lighting, and escape windows may be required depending on risk. Landlords should refer to the LACORS fire safety guidance to help assess the fire risk in their properties, and especially for any HMOs.

We recommend everyone reads and shares this easy read fire safety guidance from the London Fire Brigade.

Furniture, furnishings and portable appliances

All furniture and furnishings supplied in rented properties must be clearly marked with a fire safety label demonstrating compliance with the necessary fire resistance standards. If you rent out the property after the labels have been lost, you should either have the furniture re-tested or replaced.

Any portable electrical appliances supplied in rented properties should be safe. HMO landlords should make regular checks for signs of damage/scorching and test for electrical safety. Further information on PAT testing is available from the Health and Safety Executive.