Road closures for special events and street parties

If you are holding a special event such as a parade or social gathering and would like to close the road you will need permission. We have limited powers to make temporary traffic regulation orders relating to special events taking place on the public highway.

What type of event qualifies for a road closure order?

Under the Town Police Clauses Act 1847, we have powers to close the public highway for events such as:

  • Ceremonies
  • Parades
  • Festivals
  • Fun fairs
  • Street parties

Oxfordshire County Council Highways Department process road closures for the following:

  • Sports Events
  • Road works
  • Major Impact Special Event Orders