Universal Credit

What is universal credit?

Universal Credit is administered by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) and not Cherwell District Council.

If you have a partner, there will be one monthly payment for both of you.

If you have any other adults living with you who are entitled to benefit, they may claim in their own right, but a deduction could be made from your payment for each adult, if applicable.

You will not be able to claim help with your Council Tax within Universal Credit and instead will still need to apply for council tax support separately.

Who will be affected?

You will still need to claim Housing Benefit if you:

  • Live in supported accommodation or temporary accommodation, or
  • Are of Pension Credit age

Households of working age who claim in work or out of work benefits will be affected when their circumstances change.

This includes:

  • Income based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit

You can find out more about moving on to Universal Credit and how to make claim on the GOV.UK website

If you are receiving Universal Credit and are liable to pay Council Tax, you will need to make a separate new claim for Council Tax support.

You can find more information about Council Tax Support and how to make a new claim on our website.

For the attention of people in receipt of Tax Credits