Discretionary Housing Payments

If you receive housing benefit but are still struggling to pay your rent then you may be entitled to a discretionary housing payment to top up your benefit.

A discretionary housing payment cannot be made if:

  • You pay rent but are not entitled to housing benefit
  • Your income has been reduced because you are repaying an overpayment of benefit.

You can also apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment if you are receiving the Housing element of Universal Credit.

Discretionary housing payments are not normal awards of benefit. They are made from a limited fund that the Department for Work and Pensions gives to the council each year. Therefore we cannot guarantee that your application will be successful. Each case will be considered on its own merits.

When making a decision we will take into consideration various factors including any special circumstances you may have, any disregarded income that may be available, whether it is possible to reduce your outgoings and whether it is reasonable to expect you to move to cheaper accommodation.

How to apply:

To apply please read our discretionary housing payments policy  and complete the discretionary housing payment application form. This form is live for ten minutes.

Discretionary housing payment application form

Please note: the application form may not be suitable for users of assistive technology.  If you need assistance in completing the form please telephone the team on 01295 227002.