Discretionary Housing Payments

Apply for Discretionary Housing Payment

If you receive either Housing Benefit or a housing costs element within Universal Credit, but are still struggling to pay your rent, then you may be entitled to a discretionary housing payment to top up your benefit.

A discretionary housing payment can be considered in some circumstances for:

  • Help with rent in advance
  • Help with rent deposits
  • Help with rent arrears
  • Other lump sum costs associated with a housing need, such as removal costs
  • Help with shortfalls between Housing Benefit or Universal Credit housing costs and the contractual rent

Please note that a discretionary housing payment cannot be made if:

  • You pay rent but are not entitled to Housing Benefit or Universal Credit housing allowance
  • Your Housing Benefit or Universal Credit has been reduced because you are repaying an overpayment of benefit.

Discretionary housing payments are not normal awards of benefit. They are made from a limited fund that the Department for Work and Pensions gives to the council each year. Therefore we cannot guarantee that your application will be successful. Each case will be considered on its own merits.

When making a decision we will take into consideration various factors including any special circumstances you may have, any disregarded income that may be available, whether it is possible to reduce your outgoings and whether it is reasonable to expect you to move to cheaper accommodation.

How to apply

To apply please read our discretionary housing payments policy  and complete the discretionary housing payment application form. 

Discretionary housing payment application form