Council Tax valuation and banding

One Council Tax bill is issued per dwelling to either the owner or occupier regardless of whether it is occupied or unoccupied.

Each domestic property has been allocated a valuation band by the local Valuation Office, based in Oxford, which is part of the Inland Revenue.

This band is based on what price the property might have been sold for on 1 April 1991.

Find your Council Tax band and amount payable

If you’re moving into a newly built or renovated property, it may not yet have been allocated a band by the Valuation Office. You can check this online.

If your property has not yet been banded we will award a provisional valuation to enable you to start making payments towards your Council Tax.

If you don't agree with the banding the Valuation Office has given your property, you can submit an appeal.

Please remember, if you are appealing your band you must still pay your Council Tax bill.

The Valuation Office will tell us of any changes to bands.