Appeal your Council Tax banding

Appeal against a Band

You can look up your council tax band online, and check if you can request a review, by selecting ‘council tax’ on Valuation Office Agency (VOA) website.

You can also contact the VOA online or call 03000 501 501. Lines are open Monday to Friday, 9:30am to 2:30pm.

If you don’t agree with the banding, you have limited rights of appeal. If your appeal is successful the VOA will tell us of the change direct and you will be entitled to a full refund of overpaid Council Tax.

If you’ve recently moved into a property and you think the Council Tax banding is wrong, you have six months to appeal against your banding.

Making an appeal does not allow you to withhold payment of Council Tax in the meantime as recovery action will continue.