Public health funerals

Help with funeral expenses

If you are finding it difficult to pay for a funeral, there are several ways you may be able to get help.

If you or your partner claim income support, housing or Council Tax benefit, job seeker's allowance, disabled person's tax credit or working family tax credit, you may be able to get a Social Fund funeral payment.

The Social Fund funeral payment covers the cost of a burial or cremation fees, local authority fees, certain expenses in specific circumstances and up to £700 to pay for other costs such as a coffin or flowers.

You will not have to pay tax on any funeral payment you get.

If the person who died was a war veteran, you may also be able to get help from Veterans UK. You don't have to be on benefits to claim but if you are also claiming a Social Fund funeral payment it may affect how much you get from the Veterans Agency.