Some facilities could harm the environment or human health unless they are controlled. The environmental permitting regime requires operators to obtain an environmental permit for some facilities, the registration of exemptions for certain waste facilities, and ongoing supervision by regulators.
The aim of the regime is to:
- protect the environment and human health
- deliver permitting and compliance effectively and efficiently in a way that provides increased clarity and minimises the administrative burden on both the regulator and the operators of facilities
- encourage regulators to promote best practice in the operation of regulated facilities
- continue to fully implement European legislation.
The regime is split into two parts:
- LA-IPPC (A1 and A2 activities)
- LA-PPC (Part B activities)
The detailed legal requirements for installations are contained in the Environmental Permitting Regulations 2016 (as amended)