Our vision is to lead the field in our approach to equality and diversity in our workplace, inclusive service delivery and tackling disadvantage in our communities.
Including everyone: Equalities, diversity and inclusion framework
In November 2020, our Executive approved our new Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion Framework: Including Everyone.
This is a joint framework with Oxfordshire County Council and is important for us as it honours and protects the diverse strengths of individuals and builds inclusive communities.
An easy read version of our Equalities, Diversity and Inclusion Framework is available here: Including Everyone.
Equality and Climate Impact Assessments (ECIAs)
The Equality Act (2010) states that public bodies, including councils, need to take extra steps to stop discrimination: this is known as the Public Sector Equality Duty. The Public Sector Equality Duty means that we must consider equality as part of our daily business, In particular we must:
- Eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment, victimisation and other conduct prohibited by the Act
- Advance equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristic and those who do not
- Foster good relations between people who share protected characteristics and those who do not
- Set and publish equality objectives at least every four years
- Publish information, at least annually, to show how we comply with the Equality Duty including information about employees and to people who are affected by the public body’s policies and procedures
There are nine protected characteristics:
- Disability (including invisible disabilities)
- Gender reassignment
- Marriage and civil partnership
- Pregnancy and maternity
- Race including ethnic or national origins, colour or nationality
- Religion or belief
- Sexual orientation
We will assess the impact of budget or service changes on these groups and mitigate against negative impacts. We also go further and consider the impact that our decisions have on the following:
- People living with social deprivation
- People in rural communities
- People leaving care
- Members of our Armed Forces community
We do this by undertaking Equality and Climate Impact Assessments (ECIAs) which will be published as part of our committee papers.