Building notice application

You can apply for building regulations approval by submitting a building notice application for residential work only. A building notice cannot be used for any non-residential work, or any extension/ development within 3 metres of a public sewer.

Detailed plans are not required with this type of application (however a block plan showing any extension to the property is required) so this is quicker and less detailed than the Full Plans application. It is designed to enable some types of building work to get under way quickly and is best suited to small work, such as a building an extension.

It is valid for three years from the date the notice was given to us after which it will automatically lapse if the building work has not begun. There are fees for this service.

Submit a building notice application

We will carry out inspections of the building work once it begins. We will explain about the notification procedures and regulations you need to follow at various stages, for example, for foundations, damp proof courses and drains.

Once work is complete and a final inspection has been carried out, we will issue you with a completion certificate, as long as the work complies with building regulations