If you don't pay your Council Tax

Attachment of earnings

If you are employed we can ‘attach to your earnings’. This means that we will ask your employer to take deductions from your salary and pay it directly to us. This is calculated on a percentage deduction depending on what you earn. Employers can charge you £1.00 per deduction to cover administration costs.

By law, your employer must follow the attachment of earnings order and may be prosecuted and fined up to £2,000 if they do not. Once we issue the attachment of earnings order, we can only stop proceedings once you have paid us all the Council Tax you owe.

If you are in receipt of Job Seekers Allowance (income based), Employment and Support Allowance or Income Support we can apply to the Department for Work and Pensions for deductions currently £4.55 per week to be taken from your benefit and paid directly to us.