Disability relief

The Disabled Band Reduction Scheme (also known as disability relief) is designed to help households where one or more members have a permanent disability. This can be an adult or a child and doesn’t have to be the person responsible for paying the council tax.

To apply, please provide details of the nature of the person’s disability and any benefits they receive from the Department for Work and Pensions. An inspector may then contact you to arrange a home visit.


The property must be the disabled person’s main home and have one of the following features:

  • A room (but not the only bathroom, kitchen or toilet) that is mainly used to meet the needs of the person with a disability
  • An extra bathroom or kitchen which is necessary for meeting the needs of the disabled person
  • Extra space inside the property for using a wheelchair

If you qualify for the scheme and the disabled person later vacates the property, you must tell us. You should contact us within 21 days of this change so that the disabled band can be removed.