The chairman is the ceremonial head of the council. As a serving district councillor they must remain politically impartial and cannot be a member of the executive.
Cllr David Hughes is the elected Chairman for 2019/20.
The Chairman's ceremonial duties include:
- being the politically impartial civic leader of Cherwell
- promoting the objectives and services of the district council
- acting as an ambassador for the district council
- fostering community identity and pride
Key responsibilities include:
- presiding over meetings of the full council
- accepting invitations on behalf of the district council to attend events
- inviting individuals and representatives of key organisations to events at Bodicote House and other venues
The Vice Chairman for this year is Cllr Hannah Banfield.
For more information on the role of the Chairman see the Scheme of reference.