Elections scheduled for 7 May 2020 were postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic. They will now take place on Thursday 6 May 2021.
The postponed elections taking place across the Cherwell District are for District wards, some parish councils, and the Police and Crime Commissioner (PCC) for the Thames Valley area.
In addition, elections to Oxfordshire County Council and the Weston-on-the-Green Neighbourhood Plan will also be taking place.
These elections will be held at a time when coronavirus still presents a risk to public health and a challenge to the holding of elections. As such, supported by the Electoral Commission, we have prepared a series of FAQs. It provides some answers to questions you may have about registering for, and voting in, these elections.
The situation is likely to change over the coming weeks and months, so this document will be regularly updated.
In addition to information from the Electoral Commission, the Local Government Association will be running a free online seminar on 26 January 2021 for prospective candidates and their agents, regarding campaigning in a Covid-19 context. Details of the seminar can be found on the Local Government Association website
Key dates are:
- Monday 29 March: Publication of Notice of Election
- 10am–4pm, Tuesday 30 March to Thursday 8 April (weekdays only): Submission of nominations
- By 4pm, Friday 9 April: Publication of Statement of Persons Nominated
- 11:59pm Monday 19 April: Registration deadline
- 5pm, Tuesday 20 April: Postal / Postal Proxy deadline
- 5pm, Tuesday 27 April: Proxy deadline
- After 5pm Tuesday 27 April – 5pm, Thursday 6 May: Emergency proxy applications accepted
- 7am to 10pm Thursday 6 May: Polling Day
- Friday 7 May: Verification of all ballot papers
- Sunday 9 May: Count for County, District and Parish elections
- Monday 10 May: Count for PCC election
Timings for verification and counts will be confirmed nearer the time.
Details of the briefing for prospective candidates and agents for the PCC election will be available on this website when confirmed.