Elections scheduled for 7 May 2020 were postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic. They will now take place on Thursday 6 May 2021.
The postponed elections taking place across the Cherwell District are for District wards, some parish councils, and the Police and Crime Commissioner (PCC) for the Thames Valley area.
In addition, elections to Oxfordshire County Council and the Weston-on-the-Green Neighbourhood Plan will also be taking place.
These elections will be held at a time when coronavirus still presents a risk to public health and a challenge to the holding of elections. As such, supported by the Electoral Commission, we have prepared a series of FAQs. It provides some answers to questions you may have about registering for, and voting in, these elections.
The situation is likely to change over the coming weeks and months, so this document will be regularly updated.
Key dates are:
- Monday 29 March: Publication of Notice of Election
- 10am–4pm, Tuesday 30 March to Thursday 8 April (weekdays only): Submission of nominations
- By 4pm, Friday 9 April: Publication of Statement of Persons Nominated
- 11:59pm Monday 19 April: Registration deadline. It is now too late to register to vote for these elections.
- 5pm, Tuesday 20 April: Postal / Postal Proxy deadline. It is now too late to apply for a postal vote, or postal proxy vote for these elections.
- 5pm, Tuesday 27 April: Proxy deadline. Find out how to apply for a proxy vote
- After 5pm Tuesday 27 April – 5pm, Thursday 6 May: Emergency proxy applications accepted
- 7am to 10pm Thursday 6 May: Polling Day
- Friday 7 May: Verification of all ballot papers
- Sunday 9 May: Count for County, District and Parish elections
- Monday 10 May: Count for PCC election
Timings for verification and counts will be confirmed nearer the time.
Postal vote packs will start being sent out as follows:
Police and Crime Commissioner elections
- First run - Friday 16 April, if you have a permanent postal vote, or you applied before 1 March 2021.
- Second run - Friday 23 April, if you applied between 1 March and 1 April 2021.
- Third run - during week commencing Monday 26 April, if you applied between 1 April and 20 April 2021.
County/District/Parish and Neighbourhood Plan Referendum
- First run - Friday 23 April, if you have a permanent postal vote, or you applied before 8 April 2021
- Second run - during week commencing Monday 26 April, if you applied between 8 April and 20 April 2021.
All postal vote packs will be sent out first class post from our printers in London. If you have any queries regarding postal votes, please contact the Democratic and Elections Team via email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 01295 221534.
Details of the briefing for prospective candidates and agents for the PCC election are available via our dedicated Police and Crime Commissioner section.