Coronavirus : Self-isolation payments

Self-isolation payments

It is now a legal requirement for those testing positive for COVID-19, or those identified by NHS Test and Trace as a contact of someone with the virus, to self-isolate for 14 days.

On 20 September, the Government announced a new national Test and Trace Support scheme. Under the new scheme, payments of £500 will be available for residents who have received notification from NHS Test and Trace to self-isolate, providing that their period of self-isolation started on or after 28 September 2020.

If you have been told by the NHS to self-isolate, either because you have tested positive for coronavirus COVID-19 or you have been in contact with someone who has tested positive, you may be entitled to some financial support during your self-isolation period.

Who is eligible for the Test and Trace support payment?

People who live in the Cherwell area and have received notification from NHS Test and Trace to self-isolate will be entitled to a £500 support payment if all the following criteria are met:

  • You comply with the NHS test and Trace notification to self-isolate
  • You are employed or self employed
  • You are unable to work from home and will lose income as a result
  • You are in receipt of one of the following benefits:
    • Universal Credit
    • Working tax Credit
    • Income-based Employment and Support allowance
    • Income based Job Seekers Allowance
    • Income Support
    • Housing Benefit
    • Pension Credit

If you are not receiving one of these benefits but are on low income and will suffer financial hardship because of self-isolation you may be entitled to a discretionary payment. Please note that we have limited funding for this.

How much is the payment?

Individuals who are required to self-isolate and who meet the eligibility criteria will be entitled to £500. These payments will be subject to income tax but not national insurance contributions

Who is not eligible?

You will not be eligible for the scheme if you:

  • Are quarantining after travelling abroad (unless you test positive during the 14-day quarantine period).
  • Continue to receive full wages while you self-isolate.
  • Can work from home during a period of self-isolation
  • Are no longer required to self-isolate ie your period of self-isolation before the Test and Trace Payment Scheme launched (28 September 2020)
  • Have not received a notification from NHS Test and Trace telling you to self-isolate
  • Applicants who are not working due to being furloughed

What evidence will I need to provide to apply for the payment?

  • Notification form NHS Test and Trace asking you to self-isolate (including your unique ID number)
  • A bank statement
  • Proof of employment, or if you are self-employed, self-employment assessment returns, trading income and proof that you cannot work from home and that you will not receive any employment or business income for the isolation period

How do I apply?

Please do not delay in applying for financial support to self-isolate.

Complete the application form which covers both the Support Payments and Discretionary Payments and we will assess your eligibility.

Apply for self-isolation payment

If you are eligible, we will aim to make payment to make payment to you within 3 working days of receiving a completed application form with all the required evidence.

If you are unable to complete the form, please contact us on 01295 227002 and we will complete the form on your behalf.

Before you start making your application please make sure you have the following information:

  • A copy of your latest bank statement (one issued within the last two months which must clearly show proof of earnings);
  • Proof of self-employment eg recent business bank statement (within the last two months), most recent set of accounts or evidence of self-assessment returns;
  • Proof of your NHS Account ID for coronavirus COVID-19 or;
    • Proof of the Account ID you have received from NHS Test and Trace to self-isolate
    • Your National Insurance Number

Can someone else make an application on your behalf?

Someone else can fill out an application form for you, or you can fill out an application form on their behalf. However, you cannot receive payments on behalf of someone else; payments will only be made to the person who has been asked to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace.