High Hedges

We now have powers to deal with complaints about high hedges. However if you are troubled by a neighbour's hedge, the first thing to do is to talk to them about the problem to try and reach a mutually acceptable solution.

Remember that whether or not there is a hedge between you, you will have to continue to live with your neighbours and so resolving disputes with them amicably is always preferable.

If the dispute can’t be resolved, complaints must be made in writing by filling in a complaint form, detailing the steps that you have taken to resolve the issue and the ways in which the height of the hedge is interfering with your enjoyment of your property. Read the guidance notes to help you fill out the form.

How do I make sure that my neighbour keeps the hedge at its new height?

As well as reducing the height of the hedge, we can order your neighbour to take action to prevent the problems with the hedge happening again which could include keeping the hedge at its new height for as long as it is there.

The remedial notice issued will set out any such maintenance requirement so you wouldn't have to make another formal complaint, or go through this process again to get something done.