Disabled adaptations

Disabled people sometimes need help accessing and using the facilities in their homes. A Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) may be available from us to help with the cost of adaptations. We may also be able to help with organising the work.

Before you can apply for a grant, your disability must be assessed by an Occupational Therapist who is employed by Oxfordshire County Council. They will tell us if they think a DFG is the right way to meet your needs and recommend the adaptations they think suitable.

We must then decide if the proposed adaptations are ‘necessary and appropriate’ and are ‘reasonable and practicable’. We may also have to carry out a test of your financial resources to see what, if any, contribution you may have to make towards the cost.

Our Disabled Facilities Grant Policy explains how we set about making those decisions.