Apply to join the housing register

Supporting information

Local Connection – Only people with a connection to Cherwell qualify to be on our housing register. If you have not lived in Cherwell 6 out of the last 12 months or 3 out of the last 5 years, you need to provide details of how you meet the criteria.

  • If you work in the area you need to provide your contract of employment
  • If you have close family in the area you need to provide their names, addresses and how long they have lived here
  • If you are leaving care in Oxfordshire you need supporting details
  • If you have a special reason to live in Cherwell you need to provide evidence to confirm this

Exceptions are members of the Armed forces and those with the Right to Move.

Residency of Children – we can only include dependent children who live with you. Proof of Child Benefit or Child Tax Credits is required.

Special circumstances, for example if the children do not currently live with you full-time, but you have a court order saying they will do in the future. You will need to supply evidence of this.

Proof of Income - required as you have to be able to pay rent by working or claiming benefits to be put forward for a property.

Please note: Homeowners cannot be accepted onto the housing register unless they are over 55 and need sheltered or extra-care housing, evidence of these needs must be provided.