Housing standards and enforcement

Tenant complaints and redress

Seeking redress and taking your own legal action

As a tenant, you can consider taking your own legal action against your landlord or letting agent if you feel that your home is in such significant disrepair that it is no longer 'fit for human habitation'.

Letting agent complaints and redress schemes

All lettings agents should have a complaints procedure and should be a member of either the Property Redress Scheme or the Property Ombudsman. If you think your letting agent or property manager has not joined an approved redress scheme, tell us. We can fine them up to £5,000.

Rent repayment orders

Tenants can claim back up to all of the rent paid while their landlord was committing certain offences (including illegal eviction and running an unlicensed HMO). There must be sufficient evidence, but a conviction is not essential. Claims must be made by the tenant to the First-tier Tribunal (Eastern Region) using Tribunal application form RRO1, but we can provide help and support.

Tenancy deposit protection

In most cases, deposits must be protected in a tenancy deposit protection scheme. At the end of the tenancy, a landlord may wish to make deductions before returning the deposit. Tenants can challenge any deductions via the scheme's dispute resolution service. Landlords face penalties if a tenancy deposit is not protected correctly. A court can order a landlord to pay compensation and the deposit may have to be refunded in full before a section 21 notice can be used.

Protection from retaliatory eviction

If you have complained to us about disrepair, your landlord cannot evict you without reason for six months if we serve an improvement notice or take emergency action.