Coronavirus : Shielding our most vulnerable

Shielding our most vulnerable

Support for extremely vulnerable people and self-isolating residents

If you are clinically extremely vulnerable

As of 1 April 2021, clinically extremely vulnerable residents (CEV) are no longer required to shield.  However, CEV's should still follow the guidance as set out on the GOV UK website.

The NHS have written to everyone considered clinically extremely vulnerable during all stages of the pandemic. If you are unsure, contact your GP.

The guidance will not affect any social care or support you were receiving. You should continue to contact Oxfordshire County Council’s social and health care team if you have any ongoing social care needs.

Priority supermarket slots will remain available until at least 21 June 2021.

If you need advice on what support is available in the Cherwell area, you can contact the CDC Shield Team

Oxfordshire County Council Shielding Service:

  • Call 01865 897820
  • Email
  • The service is open 8.30am - 5pm Monday - Thursday. 8.30am - 4pm on Fridays. Closed Saturday - Sunday and Bank Holidays.



Find community support near you

If you’re having to self-isolate and don’t have a support network nearby, visit Oxfordshire All In or Oxford Hub (for Oxford residents) for more information on community support available near you.

NHS volunteer responders can support you with:

  • Collecting shopping, medication (if your friends and family cannot collect them for you) or other essential supplies.
  • A regular, friendly phone call which can be provided by different volunteers each time or by someone who is also shielding and will stay in contact for several weeks.
  • Transport to medical appointments.

Call 0808 196 3646 8am - 8pm to arrange support, or speak to your health care professional for transport support.

Otherwise visit either the Livewell website or the Family Information Service to find out about local support groups in your community.

Food and essential supplies

Good Food Oxford is continuously updating the Oxfordshire food access map to support signposting the most vulnerable in our communities to community food services such as foodbanks, community kitchens and food surplus cafes.

If you are struggling to pay fuel bills please contact Better Housing Better Health or your local Citizens Advice. Your local advice service can also advise on any other welfare or emergency support requirements.

Income and employment support

It is important that you continue to take careful precautions and employers should do all they can to enable you to work from home where this is possible, including moving you to another role if required.

Where this is not possible, those who are at risk should be provided with the safest onsite roles that enable them to maintain social distancing.

The government has produced guidance to help keep you safe when receiving support during this period.

Those on lower incomes who can't work from home and have lost income as a result will be supported by a Test and Trace support payment of £500.

Apply for a self-isolation payment.

List of organisations that can offer support

Kidlington and Surrounding Areas (KASA) Coronavirus Community Help: volunteers to help with food shopping, collect medications, dog walking or a friendly chat. Tel: 01865 817722.

Citizens Advice North Oxon & South Northants: general advice including benefits and universal credit and financial advice. Volunteer Driver Service can arrange to take vulnerable people to hospital appointments.

  • Advice line: 0300 330 9037
  • North Oxon Advice line: 03444 111444
  • Banbury: 01295 221448
  • Bicester: 01869 321806
  • Kidlington: 01865 955919
  • Freephone: 0808 278 7906

Community Connect (Social Prescribing): advice & support for anyone feeling anxious or low mood re COVID-19. Trained staff for Check in and Chat. Tel: 0300 004 0401.

Age UK Oxfordshire Covid 19 helpline: telephone support for older people. Dedicated phoneline and webpage for info and advice to anyone that is concerned about coronavirus. Tel: 01865 411288. Leave a message and an advisor will call you back ASAP.

Oxfordshire Mind: concerned about mental health. Tel: 01865 247788.

Samaritans:help and advice for all situations. Tel: 116 123.

Dementia Support: if you are living with dementia or are concerned for your loved one at this difficult time, please call Alzheimer UK's Dementia Connect support line. Tel: 0333 150 3456.