Local restrictions - Support Grant
Coronavirus Tier 3
Businesses in England required to close due to being located in Tier 3 regions and therefore being subject to local lockdown measures will now be able to receive grants worth up to £3,000 every month.
Note: The local lockdown is triggered when the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care requires the closure of businesses in a local area under regulations within the Public Health (Control of Disease) Act 1984.
Tier 1 Restrictions (12 October)
The announcement that Cherwell is now subject to ‘Tier 1’ restrictions, does NOT bring us under these local restrictions (and therefore businesses in Cherwell, are not currently eligible to apply for this grant). If this situation changes, we will update this page.
To be eligible for the grant, a business that was open as usual and providing in-person services to customers must have been required to close due to local COVID-19 restrictions.
- For properties with a rateable value of £15,000 or under, grants of £1,334 per month.
- For properties with a rateable value of between £15,000-£51,000, grants of £2,000 per month.
- For properties with a rateable value of £51,000, grants of £3,000 per month.
Payments are triggered by a national decision to close businesses in a high incidence area. Each payment will be made for a four week lockdown period and each new four week lockdown period triggers an additional payment. Eligible businesses must have been closed for the entirety of the four week period.
As with other COVID-19 business grants, local grants to closed businesses will be treated as taxable income.
Business Grants - Tier 2
Local Authorities will be provided with additional funding to support businesses in high (Tier 2) alert level areas. These businesses are not subject to enforced closures but are severely impacted by the restrictions on socialising.
The funding Cherwell District Council receives will be based on the number of hospitality, hotel, Bed and Breakfast, and leisure businesses in the area. We are awaiting the details of these schemes and how they will benefit local businesses and will update this page when more details are available to us.
We know from the Chancellors’ announcements that Local Authorities will receive funding based on the entries held in the Valuation Office’ Rating List that will be the equivalent of:
- For properties with a rateable value of £15,000 or under, grants of up to £934 per month.
- For properties with a rateable value of between £15,000-£51,000, grants of up to £1,400 per month.
- For properties with a rateable value of £51,000, grants of up to £2,100 per month.
- This is equivalent to 70 per cent of the grant amounts given to legally closed businesses in Tier 3 (worth up to £3,000 per month).
Since the announcements regarding Grants for businesses in Tier 2 restriction Local Authorities, the Government has announced that it will be for each Local Authority to manage their Grant allocation. Grant payment amounts will be at the discretion of each Local Authority.
We are still waiting further guidance on how affected businesses may apply (if Cherwell enters these local restrictions). This page will be updated when the information becomes available.