National Lockdown - Grant Support
Support Grant for businesses mandated to close from Thursday 5 November 2020 until Wednesday 2 December 2020
The Local Restrictions Support Grant (Closed) Addendum is intended to support businesses which have been required to close because of the government’s national lockdown restrictions from 5 November until 2 December 2020.
Businesses required to close under the national lockdown restrictions include non-essential retail, hospitality venues, leisure, sports and entertainment venues, and personal care facilities. A full list of businesses required to close can be found on the Gov.uk website.
To qualify for this grant, your business must have been:
- open as usual on 4 November 2020
- providing services in person to customers from the premises
- required to close the main part of the business, due to the national lockdown restrictions imposed by government
- liable to pay business rates for the premises on 5 November 2020 (even if you have not paid your business rates this financial year due to a relief or exemption)
Businesses are also eligible if they have had to adapt their business model to provide a reduced service, such as takeaways or click and collect. If the main part of the business (before government restrictions) is to provide takeaways or click and collect services, then the business is not eligible for this grant.
If your business is closed and you do not have a business rates account, please do not apply. There will be a separate discretionary grants scheme for businesses without a business rates account. Details of this scheme will be provided here in due course, together with a separate application process.
Your business will not qualify for support under the Local Restrictions Grant Support Grant (Closed) Addendum scheme if it:
- has been able to continue to operate during the lockdown because it does not depend on providing direct in-person services from its premises
- has chosen to close
- has reached the state aid limit; or
- is in administration, insolvent or a striking off order was made at the time local restrictions started
How much is the grant?
|Rateable value of premises||Grant payment per four weeks|
|£15,000 or under||£1,334|
|£15,001 - £50,999||£2,000|
|£51,000 or over||£3,000|
You can find the rateable value of your premises on your latest business rates bill.
State aid rules
The Local Restrictions Support Grant (Closed) Addendum counts towards state aid. The rules are fully explained in the government state aid guidance. By accepting this grant, you must confirm that you are not in breach of these rules.
How to apply
All businesses wishing to claim this grant will have to complete an online form (below) and the following information will be needed:
- Business rates account number
- The 2017 List Rateable Value of the property (you will find this on your latest business rates bill)
- Copy of a recent bank statement showing account name, address, sort code and account number
Before starting to complete your application form, please check that you have this information to hand. Please note that we will need all of this information before we can make a grant payment.
After submission of your online form, a grant payment should normally be processed and paid within a fortnight.