Replacement or damaged bin

Replacement or damaged bin/caddy

If your bin or caddy has been damaged or has gone missing please let us know so we can either fix or replace it.

You will need to provide:

  • Your address
  • The type of bin or caddy that has been damaged or has gone missing
  • If you wish to report a missing bin please wait two days from when it was first noticed missing before reporting it

Request replacement bin or report damaged bin

If we need to replace your green bin it may be slightly smaller than your old one.

If you have just moved in and don’t have any bins please call us on 01295 227003 to let us know.