Website URL :

Licence - sex shops

To run a sex shop - ie any premises selling sex toys, books or videos - you may need a licence. To run a venue where explicit films are shown to members of the public, you also need a licence.

However, you may apply to the local authority requesting them to waive the requirement of a licence.

Details required

Image depicting EU Logo 2
EU Logo 2
An applicant:

  • must be at least 18 years old
  • must not be disqualified from holding a licence
  • must not have been refused the grant or renewal of a licence for the premises in question within the last 12 months unless the refusal has been reversed on appeal

Application evaluation process fees will be payable for applications and conditions may be attached.

Applications must be in writing (including by electronic means) and contain any information the local authority requires, as well as the applicant's name, address and, where the applicant is an individual, their age, plus the address of the premises. 

Applicants must give public notice of their application by publishing an advertisement

Cookie Policy