Website URL :

Housing benefit - new claim

You may be eligible to claim housing benefit if you are on a low income or in receipt of income support or job seekers allowance and pay rent, whether to a private landlord, a housing association, or the council.

How you can access the service:

You can claim benefit if:

  • you are on income support or job seekers allowance, employment support allowance or pension credit
  • you are on a low income (including people who are working or self-employed).

In most cases you cannot be paid benefit if you (or you and your partner) have more than £16,000 in savings. A partner is someone you are married to or someone you live with as if you were married to them.

You can claim housing benefit as soon as you have a rent agreement with your housing association or landlord.  Contact us as soon as possible to discuss your claim.  If you delay you may lose benefit.

You can use our benefit calculator (you will find it under 'See also' to the left of this page) to see if you qualify and get an estimate of how much you could be awarded.

You can now make your claim for housing benefit online. The housing benefit claim form is a secure form which you can save and come back to at a later time. If you need help with the form please contact our Customer Services team on 01295 227002 during normal office hours.

Alternatively you may complete a form which can be found in the downloads section to the right or you can obtain one:

  • by email (see contacts to the right)
  • by phone (see contacts to the right)

If you wish to visit one of our LinkPoints you will need to make an appointment by phone.

Details required: 

In addition to your completed form, we need to see proof of your circumstances. We will need proof of your identity and full, original evidence of your income and savings such as pay slips and bank statements. If you need to provide documents this can be done by scanning and emailing to, or at one of our LinkPoint offices by making an appointment by using the contact details on the right. Please do not just drop in.

The documents should be returned with your form, or as soon as possible afterwards. However, do not delay returning your form as you could lose benefit.

If you are working but do not have 5 weekly or 2 monthly payslips, you can ask your employer to complete the certificate of earnings form (in the download section).

If you have started self-employment and do not yet have a set of accounts you can complete the self-employed earnings certificate (in the download section).

If you have declared that you own a second property you need to complete the "second property questionnaire" (in the download section)

If you or your partner are related to your landlord you need to complete the "tenant questionnaire" and ask your landlord to complete the "landlord questionnaire" (both in the download section).

How long will it take?

We try to put all claims into payment within 14 days of you supplying the last piece of information. Therefore, it is important that you provide us with all the information and proof required as quickly as you can.

Cookie Policy