Website URL :

Temporary event notice

Under the Licensing Act 2003, an event organiser who wishes to provide alcohol or certain types of entertainment must issue a Temporary Event Notice. The notice is issued to your local licensing authority (Cherwell District Council) and the police, either of whom can object to the notice.

What the service is for:

A Temporary Event Notice (TEN) given under the Licensing Act 2003 allows the sale of alcohol, the provision of late night refreshment or provision of certain public entertainment from a specified premise in England and Wales.

TENs can be used to authorise relatively small-scale ad hoc events held in or on any premises involving no more than 499 people at any one time.

A temporary event notice allows you to hold a licensable activity at a venue that is not currently licensed, or to hold or extend activities your existing licence does not permit.

This would include, for example:

  • selling alcohol at a village hall that only holds a premises licence to cover regulated entertainment
  • providing regulated entertainment at a pub where the current licence does not permit this
  • staying open late to sell hot food on a special occasion (for example, New Years Eve)
  • selling alcohol after the hours your normal licence permits, for example, for a special occasion
  • an amateur dramatics group putting on a play in unlicensed premises.

There are restrictions that apply to the duration of the TEN these are:

  • last no longer than 168 hours
  • have no more than 499 people present at any time.

There are restrictions upon the number of TENs:

  • that one person can serve (50 for a Personal Licence holder but only 5 for anyone else)
  • for events held at any particular premises (12 times in a calendar year for a maximum aggregate time period of 21 days).

If your event exceeds these restrictions you will need to apply for a premises licence and if that licence permits the sale of alcohol you will also need to nominate a personal licence holder as the designated premise supervisor.

In order to give a TEN you will need to give notice to us along with payment of the notice fee and a copy of the notice to the chief of Thames Valley Police, no later than 10 working days before the day on which the event starts.

How you can access the service

We can only process Temporary Event Notices for events at premises that are situated within district. Details required You will need to complete a Temporary Event Notice form and send:

  • the original form and duplicate copy along with £21 fee to us
  • a duplicate copy of the form to Thames Valley Police.
  • a duplicate copy of the form to Anti Social Behaviour Manager

Apply for a temporary event notice licence online 

You must serve the notice on both the licensing authority and the police at least 10 clear working days before the day of the event (if it falls on a working day). (Bank Holidays, Saturdays and Sundays are not considered as working days for this purpose). This means that the day of receipt of the notice (by the police and licensing authority) and the day of the event do not count towards the minimum 10 clear working days notice that must be served.

How long will it take

On completion of all paperwork, in accordance with the regulations we will return the authorised notice within 2 working days.

Cookie Policy