A hackney carriage vehicle licence is required for a vehicle which can ply for hire, stand on a rank, be hailed in the street or pre-booked. All hackney carriage vehicles must be driven by a person who holds a HCV/PHV drivers badge.
All hackney carriage vehicles must be driven by a person who holds a HCV/PHV drivers badge.
Vehicles must meet the specification approved by the council.
We can only issue hackney carriage vehicle licences for vehicles that operate within the district.
Applications must be made with the relevant fee, vehicle documentation and insurance. We will also carry out an inspection of the vehicle.
- completed application form
- insurance certificate
- V5C vehicle registration document (log book)
- MOT certificate dated within 28 days of an inspection appointment
- application fee.
Additional information that may be required for certain vehicles - for example type approval.
For a copy of the Hackney Carriage Vehicle Application Form for Grant/Renewal or Transfer please see 'downloads' to the right of the page.
Full details are available through the following three links Private Hire and Hackney Carriage Licensing Policy 2017 (252kb) Private Hire and Hackney Carriage Licensing Appendices 2017 (367kb) Hackney Carriage Byelaws (279kb)
- What are the fees to become a taxi driver?
- What do I do to become a taxi driver once I have completed all the forms?
- What is the knowledge and safeguarding test?
- What happens when I pass the Knowledge and Safeguarding test - when do I get my taxi driver badge?
- What is the fee for a Knowledge and Safeguarding test?