Website URL :

Licence - gambling premises

Operator licences and personal licences will be issued and regulated by the gambling commission. We will be responsible for the issue and regulation of premises licences.

What the service is for:

On the 1 September 2007, the Gambling Act 2005 superseded the following acts:

  • betting, gaming and lotteries act 1963
  • gaming act 1968
  • lotteries and amusement act 1976.

The act is based upon promotion of the following three licensing objectives:

  • keeping crime out of gambling
  • ensuring gambling is conducted fairly and openly
  • protecting children and vulnerable people from being harmed or exploited by gambling.

After consultation we approved our gambling licensing statement.  This says how those businesses that need a licence can comply with the three objectives.

Existing licences, registrations, certificates and permits under these pieces of legislation are gradually replaced by premises licence and permits.  Most types of gambling or the provision of gaming machines will require a premises licence or permit.  However, some limited gaming in alcohol licensed premises and club premises, licensed under the Licensing Act 2003 is allowed.  Additionally race and casino nights are allowed with some limited controls.

Under the Gambling Act 2005, a premises licence is required for any of the following types of premises:

  • casino
  • bingo hall
  • betting shop
  • betting (track) - sporting venues  not just tracks
  • amusement arcade (for adults only, or where adult machines are provided).

It should be notes that "premises" includes 'any place' in particular vehicles and vessels.  There are five types of premises licences:

  • casino premises licence
  • bingo premises licence
  • betting premises licence, including tracks and premises used by betting intermediaries
  • adult gaming centres
  • family entertainment centres.

Premises that requires a premises licence will also need an operators licence.  Many will also require personal licences, though there are some exemptions for small operators.  Applications for operator and personal licences will need to be made to the gambling commission for these licences. Details can be found on the gambling commission website which is a link on the right hand side of the page.

Details required:

Each licence type has different requirement, please see the relevant licence page for further information.

How long will it take?:

On completion of all paperwork, and where appropriate the consultation periods are complete, we aim to issue all licences within 10 working days.

Cookie Policy