Website URL :

Licence - alcohol and entertainment - premises

A premises licence issued under the Licensing Act 2003 allows the sale of alcohol, the provision of late night refreshment or provision of certain public entertainment from a specified premise in England and Wales.

What the service is for:

The following activities will require a premises licence under the Licensing Act 2003.

Retail sale of alcohol including "drink included in ticket" style events, however the supply of alcohol to members of registered clubs and their guests is not an activity covered by a premises licence - see Club Premises Certificates.

Supply of late night refreshments

This includes the supply of hot food or drink between the hours of 11.00 pm and 5.00 am, (mobile food vans will also need to be licensed) unless you fall under an exemption.

Provision of regulated entertainment including:

  • the performance of a play
  • an exhibition of a film
  • an indoor sporting event
  • a boxing or wrestling entertainment
  • a performance of live music
  • any playing of recorded music
  • a performance of dance, and
  • the provision of facilities for making music or for dancing.

Remember - If you apply for a premises licence that includes the consent to sell alcohol you must nominate a Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) this person must hold a personal licence.

In order to obtain a premises licence you will need to make an application to us as the licensing authority along with payment of the application fee. There is also a consultation period and you will need to advertise the application.

Apply for a premises licence online

How you can access the service

We can only issue premises licences for premises that are situated within our district. There are a number of application types for premises licences, information requirements and fees vary accordingly.

How long will it take

On completion of all paperwork, and where appropriate the consultation periods are complete, we aim to issues licences within 10 working days.

All current premises licence applications can be viewed on the Council's consultation portal.

We can provide pre-application advice for certain licensing applications.

If you want to make a new application for a premises licence or an application to vary an existing premises licence you can take advantage of officer assistance for a fee.

What are the fees?

Small scale applications

· Assistance with application form (per hour) £40

· Assistance with advertising £20

· Site visit (per hour) £40

Medium to large scale applications

· Assistance with application form (per 90 mins) £60

· Assistance with advertising £20

· Site visit (per 90mins) £60

What do I get?

Pre-Application advice and assistance for this application will include the following:

  • Advice and assistance in completing the application forms including:

o Advice on appropriate conditions

o Advice on drawing up plans

o Advice on nominating an appropriate designated premises supervisor

  • Assistance with advertising and statutory notices
  • On site visits should they be required

You will get a written report based on your advice application within 10 working days of submission. Should you require a face to face meeting this can be arranged.

How to apply for pre-application advice

If you would like to take advantage of pre-application advice, please complete and return the pdf application form (244kb)

Once the application has been received an officer will contact you.

Cookie Policy