Website URL :

Licence - club premises certificates

Under the Licensing Act 2003, voluntary and social clubs may apply for a club premises certificate from us. This allows them to supply alcohol and conduct other "qualifying club activities" without the need to go through the normal premises licence and personal licence procedures.

What the service is for:

A club premises certificate issued under the Licensing Act 2003 allows the supply of alcohol to members and guests and the provision of certain entertainment (known as qualifying club activities) from a specified club premise in England and Wales.

image depicting EU Logo 2

If you are a members' club that people join for particular social, sporting or political reason, and are a "qualifying club" under the Licensing Act 2003 you can apply for a club premises certificate (e.g. sports and social clubs, working men's clubs, ex-services clubs and political clubs).

The following activities will require a club premises certificate under the Licensing Act 2003.

  • Supply of alcohol to members and their guests
  • Provision of qualifying club activities for members and their guests including:
    • the performance of a play
    • an exhibition of a film
    • an indoor sporting event
    • a boxing or wrestling entertainment
    • a performance of live music
    • any playing of recorded music
    • a performance of dance and
    • the provision of facilities for making music or for dancing.

As part of the application process you will need to confirm that you are a qualifying club. To do this you must show that you meet the conditions specified by the Act. These include for example:

  • that the club is established and conducted in good faith as a club
  • that the club has at least 25 members and
  • that alcohol is not supplied to members on the premises otherwise than by or on behalf of the club.

In order to obtain a premises licence you will need to make an application to us along with payment of the application fee. There is also a consultation period and you will need to advertise the application.

How you can access the service

We can only issue club premises certificates for premises that are situated within the district.

Details required

There are a number of application types for club premises certificates so information requirements and fees vary accordingly.

Apply for a new club premises certificate online

How long will it take

On completion of all paperwork, and where appropriate the consultation periods are complete, we aim to issue all licences with 10 working days.

Cookie Policy