How do you rate this information / service?
What we do with your feedback
We are responsible for maintaining the housing register on behalf of the council and its partner registered social landlords.
What the service is for:
The housing register allows us to register your application for social housing and assess your housing need. It is maintained in accordance with the policies set out in the allocation scheme.
We also provide help, support and advice to applicants who either wish to apply to go onto the register or are already on it.
How you can access the service:
If you want to be on the housing register you will have to complete an application form. The form can be requested by:
- e-mail or fax,
- complete the 'Homeseekers Application Form' online (right).
Anyone over the age of 16 can apply to the housing register. There are special rules if you are aged 16 or 17.
Documentary proof will be requested. This can include:
- proof of address
- right to remain in this country
- local connection with Cherwell district
- threat of legal proceedings.
This list is not exhaustive. We will only request relevant documentation.
How long will it take?
We aim to process your application in 20 working days if all the information is provided. Where we have to carry out more extensive investigation the process may take longer.
- [PDF] Applying for a home in Cherwell (439kb)
- [PDF] Homechoice - It's your choice (319kb)
- [PDF] Homeseekers Application Form (345kb)
- [PDF] New housing allocation scheme policy (Effective end of 2013) (135kb)
- Authority to discuss form (192kb)
- [PDF] Allocation Scheme July 2009 (723kb)
- [PDF] Housing register decisions review (208kb)