Through our commitment to the Environmental Strategy and Local Agenda 21 we aim to minimise the impact our activities have on the environment.
In partnership with businesses, parish councils, community groups, other agencies and the general public we hope to pass on the local environment to future generations in a better condition than it is today.
We promote the economic and social well-being of the district and work towards the achievement of sustainable development. We will ensure that environmental priorities are integrated into the decisions we take on all services and seek to:
- make the most efficient use of energy
- reduce the need for movement of both people and goods and encourage walking, cycling and the use of public transport as alternatives to the private car
- minimise and if possible, eliminate, all forms of pollution
- avoid waste and encourage the appropriate conservation, re-use and recycling of resources
- protect, restore and enhance the diversity of the district's wildlife and countryside
- conserve and enhance the character and quality of the district's built environment
- avoid environmental damage by assessing and monitoring environmental impacts rather than responding to them afterwards
- promote responsibility and understanding for the environment and participation in environmental issues, by raising staff awareness, by education, information provision and open consultation with the local community
- work in partnership with our contractors, suppliers and others to comply with all regulatory requirements at a local, national, European and international level and to encourage continuous improvement in environmental performance and practices
- protect the health and well-being of all residents of, and visitors to, the district
- improve and safeguard the quality of the environment in which they live, work, or spend their leisure time
- publish targets and objectives, monitor and report our performance publicly each year
- review and improve our performance each year with positive action on any areas of non-compliance.