We have a general duty to see that building work within the district complies with the building regulations - except where it is formally under the control of an approved inspector.
Building (Local Authority Charges) Regulations 2010
The Building (Local Authority Charges) Regulations 2010 require the Council to implement a new scheme of charges for Building Regulation applications. The full details of the scheme are available by clicking the download link on the right.
What the service is for
The building control team regulates the building and development process by ensuring compliance with the building regulations.
Building regulations apply to building work in England and Wales and set standards for design and construction to ensure the health and safety for people in or about those buildings.
The regulations also deal with conserving energy and ensuring facilities and access are provided for people with disabilities.
A fee is payable for building regulations work except where private work is for the direct benefit of a disabled person.
How you can access the service:
You can submit an application electronically through the Submit-a-plan facility. Alternatively you can use the forms in the download section on the right.
You can view progress of your application by using the Public Access for Building Control link on the right.
How long will it take?
We aim to carry out an initial check of applications within 15 working days.
We aim to provide site visits on the same day if they are requested before 10.00am.
We aim to provide responses to solicitors etc. requesting completion certificates within 10 days.
Building Regulations decisions
In relation to the Building Regulations decisions shown, the following comments are applicable.
For full plans applications where the decision is;
- Approved - the schemes plans have been approved as they are in accordance with the Building Regulations, Approved Documents and British Standards that were applicable when the plans were originally deposited.
- Conditionally Approved - the schemes plans have been approved subject to the detailed conditions that are attached and with the exception of the items / details in the conditions the remaining details are in accordance with the Building Regulations, Approved Documents and British Standards that were applicable when the plans were originally deposited.
- Rejected - the schemes details have been rejected based upon the details deposited not being in accordance with the Building Regulations, Approved Documents and British Standards that were applicable when the plans were originally deposited.
For Building Notices - the decision to accept is not an approval of any details or design just confirmation that the details contained in the application are in accordance with the details required by the Building Act 1984 and the Building Regulations that were applicable at the time the application was deposited with the council.
- [PDF] Building Regulations Full Plans/Building Notice Application Form (194kb)
- [PDF] Building Regulations Fee Tables (67kb)
- [PDF] Building Control Account - fee earning over 3 years (74kb)
- [PDF] Exempt Building Works (53kb)
- [PDF] Replacement windows and doors (778kb)