The chairman is the ceremonial head of the council. As a serving district councillor they must remain politically impartial and cannot be a member of the executive.
Cllr Chris Heath is the elected Chairman for 2016/17 and will serve a one year term of office.
The Chairman's ceremonial duties include:
- being the politically impartial civic leader of Cherwell
- promoting the objectives and services of the district council
- acting as an ambassador for the district council
- fostering community identity and pride.
Key responsibilities include:
- presiding over meetings of the full council
- accepting invitations on behalf of the district council to attend events
- inviting individuals and representatives of key organisations to events at Bodicote House and other venues.
The Vice Chairman for the year 2016/2017 is Cllr Maurice Billington.