Consent to trade is required for all street trading activities on the highway such as hot food vehicles, ice cream vans and flower stalls.
Restrictions are imposed by designating areas as a prohibited street, where no trading may take place, or a consent street, where it can, provided an appropriate permission has been obtained.
What the service is for
We have adopted powers under the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982 so that it may control or prohibit street trading in the central areas of Banbury, Bicester and Kidlington, and various other parts of the district such as along the A34.
Using these power we have designated "consent streets" where street trading is only allowed with our consent, and then only in specified trading locations, and "prohibited streets" where all street trading is prohibited.
In this connection we have designated a number of sites in Banbury, Bicester and Kidlington where street trading consents may be granted. There is usually a waiting list to trade from these sites.
In order to obtain a street trading consent you will need to make an application, and you will then be placed on the waiting list. Once a pitch becomes available the next appropriate application (we would not for example site a food trader directly next to another food outlet) from the waiting list will be selected and they will then be charged an annual fee.
- applicants must be over 17 years of age to hold a licence
- you may also be required to provide two photographs of yourself
- a completed application form
- proof of insurance.
How long will it take
On completion of all paperwork, and where appropriate the consultation periods are complete, we aim to issue all licences within 10 working days.
- [PDF] Street trading application form (264kb)
- [PDF] Bicester Market Association Application Form (41kb)
- [PDF] Kidlington Market Application Form (98kb)
- [PDF] Kidlington Market - Schedule of Conditions (36kb)
- [PDF] Street Trading and Table and Chairs Change of Details (178kb)
- [PDF] Change of Details on Licence (119kb)