Website URL :

Housing benefit - appeals

Anyone who has claimed housing benefit and disagrees with the decision made in their assessment can challenge the decision by submitting an appeals form within one month of the date of the original decision.

We are responsible for advising claimants of appeal procedures and investigating each appeal.

Online web benefits calculator

What the service is for

You can appeal against a decision if you disagree with it.

  • You can ask us to explain our decision
  • You can ask us to look again at the decision that has been made
  • You can appeal directly to the Tribunal Service

How you can access the service

You must dispute the decision or request an explanation within 1 month of the date of the decision.

Details required

Your appeal must be in writing and signed. You can send it through the post, or hand it in at any any of the Council's offices or one stop shops. If any additional information is required, we will ask you to supply this.

How long will it take

We try to deal with all appeals within 28 days. However, if you are appealing to the Tribunals Services, this will take longer. It can take up to 6 months for the Tribunals Service to arrange a hearing date.  However, if you are at risk of eviction then we can ask the tribunal to prioritise a hearing. 

If you have any questions about your appeal you can contact our Customer Service team (01295 227002) or the Tribunals Service (0300 123 1142)

Cookie Policy