Website URL :

Housing benefit - change of circumstances

How do you rate this information / service?

What we do with your feedback

If you currently receive housing benefit and there is a change in any of your personal circumstances, you must let us know as soon as possible.

You can claim benefit if:
• you are on Income Support, Employment & Support Allowance or Job Seekers Allowance
• you are on a low income (including people who are self-employed),

You cannot be paid benefit if you (or you and your partner) have more than £16,000 in savings. A partner is someone you are married to or someone you live with as if you were married to them.

Rent increases: if you are renting privately and your Housing Benefit is calculated using Local Housing Allowance (LHA) or Rent Officer rules then the Housing Benefit you receive will not change until your LHA or Rent Officer anniversary review. However, you must still tell us about this change as soon as possible.

On-line benefits calculator

How you can access the service:

You can notify a change in your circumstances at any of the Council offices, in person or by phone or by e-mail. If you phone, you will be asked to confirm the change in writing. You can use the pdf Change of circumstances form (97kb)  to notify your change of circumstances.

Details required:

In addition to your notification of change of circumstances, we need to see proof of your circumstances. We can only accept original documents as proof of your personal circumstances. Also, we need to see full and original evidence of your income or savings that have changed, such as pay slips and bank statements. These should be returned with your notification, or as soon as possible afterwards.

How long will it take?

We try to amend claims within 14 days of you supplying the last piece of information. Therefore, it is important that you provide us with all the information and proof required as quickly as you can.

Cookie Policy