If you currently receive housing benefit and there is a change in any of your personal circumstances, you must let us know as soon as possible.
You can claim benefit if:
• you are on Income Support, income-related Employment & Support Allowance, income-based Job Seeker's Allowance, or Pension Credit
• you are on a low income (including people who are self-employed),
You cannot be paid benefit if you (or you and your partner) have more than £16,000 in savings. A partner is someone you are married to or someone you live with as if you were married to them.
Rent increases: if you are renting privately and your Housing Benefit is calculated using Local Housing Allowance (LHA) your Housing Benefit will change straight away if your rent was lower than the LHA rate that applies to you. If the Rent Officer rules apply then the Housing Benefit you receive will not change until the Rent Officer anniversary review. However, you must still tell us about this change as soon as possible.
How you can access the service:
You can notify a change in your circumstances at any of the Council offices, in person or by phone or by e-mail. If you phone, you will be asked to confirm the change in writing. You can use the Change of circumstances form (97kb) to notify your change of circumstances.
In addition to your notification of change of circumstances, we need to see proof of your circumstances. We can only accept original documents as proof of your personal circumstances. Also, we need to see full and original evidence of your income or savings that have changed, such as pay slips and bank statements. These should be returned with your notification, or as soon as possible afterwards.
How long will it take?
We try to amend claims within 14 days of you supplying the last piece of information. Therefore, it is important that you provide us with all the information and proof required as quickly as you can.
- [PDF] Housing benefit - change of circumstances form (97kb)
- Do I have to confirm all changes in circumstances for benefit claims in writing or would a telephone call be okay?
- I am in receipt of income support/jobseekers allowance or employment & support allowance and I am starting work soon. Do I need to fill a new form in?
- If I am claiming reduction and my financial circumstances change do I have to inform the council?
- How long have I got to inform you of my change in circumstance with regard to reductions?
- If I have been paid too much benefit, what will happen?