How do you rate this information / service?
What we do with your feedback
If you receive council tax reduction and there is a change in any of your personal circumstances, you must let us know in writing as soon as possible.
What the service is for:
You can claim reduction if:
- you are on Income Support or Job Seekers Allowance
- you are on a low income (including people who are self-employed)
You cannot be paid reduction if you (or you and your partner) have more than £16,000 in savings. A partner is someone you are married to or someone you live with as if you were married to them.
How you can access the service:
You can notify a change in your circumstances at any of our one stop shops, in person or by phone or by e-mail (see contacts to the right).
If you phone, you will be asked to confirm the change in writing.
In addition to your notification of change of circumstances, we need to see proof of your circumstances. We can only accept original documents as proof of your personal circumstances.
Also, we need to see full and original evidence of your income or savings that have changed, such as pay slips and bank statements.
These should be returned with your notification, or as soon as possible afterwards.
How long will it take?
We try to amend claims within 14 days of you supplying the last piece of information. Therefore, it is important that you provide us with all the information and proof required as quickly as you can.
- I have received a council tax bill even though I am on benefit, why?
- Do I have to confirm all changes in circumstances for benefit claims in writing or would a telephone call be okay?
- I am in receipt of income support/jobseekers allowance and I am starting work soon. Do I need to fill a new form in?
- How long have I got to inform you of my change in circumstance with regard to reductions?