How do you rate this information / service?
What we do with your feedback
Council tax is not charged for some properties. These are known as 'exempt properties'.
What the service is for:
Usually council tax must be paid for any property that is contained in the council tax valuation list. However the Government has made certain types of property exempt from any charge.
The following properties are usually exempt:
- halls of residence for students
- properties where only students, school leavers, or people under 18 live
- properties where only members of visiting forces live
- forces barracks and married quarters (people living in these will contribute to the cost of local services through a special arrangement with the Ministry of Defence)
- empty properties owned and last occupied by a charity (exempt for up to six months)
- properties left empty by people who have gone into prison
- properties left empty by people who are living elsewhere in order to provide personal care to someone or who have moved elsewhere to receive personal care
- properties owned and last occupied by students
- properties waiting for probate or letters of administration to be granted (exempt for up to 6 months after probate is granted)
- repossessed properties waiting to be sold
- properties which, by law, people are not allowed to live in (a closing order must have been issued)
- properties which a bankrupt's trustees are responsible for
- properties which a minister of religion is going to move into.
How you can access the service:
By telephone, visit one of our one stop shops or in writing. A discount application form will need to be completed.
A completed discount application form and documentary evidence to confirm your application. The application form will advise you of the documentary evidence that is required.
The council tax inspector will visit all properties that wish to apply for the uninhabitable exemption.
How long will it take?
We aim to deal with all enquiries within 10 working days. A bill will be issued to confirm your eligibility.